> Minutes & Archives > Minutes > BBAC20060111minutes.html

Bedford Bicycle Advisory Committee

(approved 2006 Feb 08)

January 11, 2006

Present: Ray Ruetenik, Bob Sawyer, Joel parks, Ralph Hammond, Charlie Webster, and Holly Webster

7:40 Meeting called to order and minutes from November were approved with one spelling correction.

Ralph Hammond told us he will again be riding in the Pan Mass ride next spring. Several others were also interested and will let him know if they also will take part.


  1. Minuteman Bikeway Extension - Our next step is to tell Rich Warrington that we had no further suggestions to the latest VHB presentation. Joel will speak with Rich, tell him to go ahead and plan the meeting with the Board of Selectmen, and ask if we need to write a letter of intent to the Conservation Commission. We will all try to attend VHB"s presentation to the Board of Selectmen.
  2. Bridge Street Path - Joel will try to set up a revisit with Rich, Bob, Ralph, and Ray as soon as possible while the weather is still warm.
  3. Sidewalk passability - There have already been two trail "walkability" actions: Bob and Ray walked from Hardy Street, along Concord Avenue to the middle school and also along Washington Street to the middle school. They found that both routes were very walkable. They will continue with these walks as weather permits.
  4. Joint BBAC/PB meeting - Holly will draft a letter to Richard Joly and the Planning Board to say just what our concerns are and that we do not actually have to have a place on their agenda. She will bring her draft to our next meeting for approval and amending before sending it. She will mention: Blue Ribbon Strip Mall and their compliance with the bicycle parking law, and any sidewalk planning.
  5. East Bedford Industrial Area - Joel will contact his Mitre Friends to see about meeting them for lunch to discuss putting a sidewalk on the east side of Crosby Drive. Members suggested other contacts he could make including: Janet Werth, Lynne Webster, David Aldorisio, and Carolyn Cassidy.
  6. Bicycle racks - No action at this time. Holly will mention it at the next library meeting.
  7. Transportation Committee - Bob reported that the committee is looking at possible shelters, one near Depot Park and one near Friendly"s. They are also working with the T about a bus (number 350 or 351) that goes out Middlesex Road as far as Oak Park and to Boston. Bob would like to get a van to transport riders from Depot Park to Crosby Drive. Joel would like lockers at Depot Park. Accident Report - Bob reported that there were no bicycle accidents reported in December.
  8. New Member - Mike is apparently interested in becoming a new member but he did not attend tonight. Holly will get his address from Joel.


  1. Friends of the Bruce Freeman Trail - will meet Feb. 6 at 7:30pm at the Fenn School Bob and Joel plan to attend. The rest of us will call Joel and tell him if we can also attend.

Next scheduled Meeting: Feb. 8, 7:30pm, Meeting Room, Town Hall

Meeting adjourned 8:50pm.

Bedford Friends of the Minuteman Bikeway

Minutes approved.


  1. Newsletter - We opted to put out one more issue with the old technology. Included will be an article telling of our dilemma and say that we will no longer have a specific membership drive but that donations of $10 will be appreciated, to be sent to Don Blake and his address. If a person would prefer to receive the newsletter by e-mail, we will include where that persons e-mail address should be sent, either Bob Sawyer or a special place designated on our website.
  2. Membership - Bob said that we have no members at the moment. Don was not here.

No new business

Meeting adjourned at 9:10pm

Valid XHTML 1.0! re-validate this page