> Minutes & Archives > Minutes > BBAC20060315minutes.html

Bedford Bicycle Advisory Committee

(approved 2006 Apr 12)

March 15, 2006

Present: Ray Ruetenik, Don Blake, Joel Parks, Bob Sawyer, Charlie Webster, and Holly Webster

7:35 Meeting called to order. February minutes were approved.


  1. Minuteman Bikeway Extension - Joel was able to obtain more letters of recommendation as Rich Warrington had requested. Rich suggested calling the Minuteman Bikeway Extension, Minuteman West, and we as a committee readily agreed. Joel is on the agenda for the April 27th meeting of the Community Preservation Act committee for a presentation. Joel will make the same short presentation early in the Town Meeting agenda March 27th. Holly agreed to contact Elizabeth Bagdonis of the Conservation Commission, to see about giving the presentation at their next meeting March 22 in the 2nd floor conference room and email the rest of us with her answer. Joel reminded us of our website on which he has put links to various things of interest, including Rich's letter to the Transportation Enhancement Committee.
  2. Bruce Freeman Bikeway - None of us present were able to attend their fund raising event on 3/7/06. However, we feel that it is important to keep in close contact with their committee with continuity being the goal.
  3. Bridge Street Path - Bob reported that it seemed much more open when he last traveled it. Joel had not yet contacted Rich about this but plans to do so as it is still March. Although Ralph is away, if he really is willing, he should contact the Trails Committee to become the steward. Elizabeth Bagdonis is the person to contact.
  4. Sidewalk passability - Ray and Bob will continue walking and email their experiences to Joel who will designate a special page on our website. Any of us can email Joel of our experiences and especially report North Road which needs a sidewalk.
  5. Joint BBAC/PB meeting - Holly brought in and shared the letter she received from the Planning Board. She also shared a large packet regarding the resale of a building across the street from the new strip mall that had been included. She called the Planning Board to ask if contact by email was appropriate and as it is, she wrote to Mr. Joly thanking him for including us in the information loop. We should try to keep contact with this board.
  6. East Bedford Industrial Area - Joel has made no contacts yet but plans to do so.
  7. Bicycle racks - Moving the rack at the library is on hold until the plans for the high school are completed. Joel will contact Rich about placing as many racks as can be bought for the $175 that CRW has given to the Friends. The money has been around for years and it is important that CRW be thanked.
  8. Transportation committee - Bob reported that their committee is meeting coincidently and that they are working on getting bus shelters near Friendly's and near the Depot Park and also rerouting one of the return bus trips.
  9. Accident Report - There have been no accidents involving bicycles in 2006 reported.
  10. New Member - We have not yet had a new member attend in spite of a continuing need.


  1. In the last year, our committee sponsored three local rides on the last Saturdays of June, July, and August. Although unable to attend tonight, Susan Grieb has volunteered to lead two of these rides as long as she had a committee member along. Joel, Ralph, or Holly would have to be the sweep for these. Joel will contact Susan to seen which of these dates she would like to lead so that we can have a squib about the rides in the Bikeway.

Next scheduled Meeting: April 12, Town Center, Flint Room, 7:30pm

Meeting adjourned 8:45pm.

Bedford Friends of the Minuteman Bikeway

Minutes approved.


  1. Annual Meeting - Election of Directors - Ralph is scheduled to come off the Board. Ray will ask him if he is willing to continue. Officers will remain the same, with Pres. Ray, VP Joel, Sec. Holly, and Treas. Don. $400 is the proposed budget. Holly will do refreshments. We wish a panel with representatives from surrounding towns. Joel will contact Burlington, Concord, and Arlington. Ray will contact Billerica. Bob will contact Lexington.
  2. Bikeway articles - Ray had prepared and passed around a suggested list of articles and a proposed schedule. We went over it, eliminated a few, and agreed to submit a few.
  3. PAN MASS challenge - June 17. We will prepare a Friends table with info for the public. Holly agreed to be there.


  1. No new business

Meeting adjourned at 9:40pm

Valid XHTML 1.0! re-validate this page